Thursday, September 3, 2009

Apostrophes, Fonts and Pet Peeves

I admit that I'm one of those people who is constantly grumbling about the lack of proper grammar and spelling in newspapers, leaflets and signs. So I laughed out loud when I read an article recently presenting the concerns some other "Grammar/Punctuation Nazis" have with the fact that many signs denoting public places are missing key apostrophes. Famous places like Pikes Peak (see?) have had their possessive stature demoted. According to an article by Dave Gram for the Associated Press, the U.S. government has has a policy of not using apostrophes in signage for at least the last 100 years. Are people just now noticing? Guess so. Gram also notes that agencies like Veterans Affairs, trade publications such as Publishers Weekly and even credit cards like Diners Club follow this example. Personally, I don't think it's a big deal. You want to know why? Because I'm someone who gets annoyed about the overuse of the apostrophe.

I believe that all those missing apostrophes have been migrating from signs identifying famous or public places and things to ordinary, everyday signs. "Free Kitten's" and "Computer's on sale all week", are just a couple of examples of the abuse of the apostrophe that irks the heck out of me everyday. Oh, and have you noticed that signs and advertisements involving acronyms are notorious for apostrophe overuse? TV's, DVD's, VCR's...the list is endless. In fact, I don't think I've seen these terms used without the possessive form in years. Now, that's something to get peeved about! And don't even get me started on the apostrophe's poor, overworked cousin, the comma. I have read articles that use so many commas in one paragraph that I literally have trouble understanding the meaning of the text. Offenders should be required to read multiple sections of the MA General Laws (a shining example of poor sentence form) until they learn some respect for punctuation.


Just the other day, I read another amusing article, this time on the brouhaha that has ensued after Ikea released its (note no apostrophe) newest catalog in a different font. Stephen Nasstrom reported that people were "outraged" and "sad"; some were even filled with "disgust". Ha! I thought. Now,THAT is a silly thing to get upset about.

No comments:

Post a Comment