Wednesday, August 26, 2009

A Massachusetts Icon Passes On

Senator Edward Kennedy, or "Ted" as he was known, died last night of brain cancer, ending a nearly 50-year career representing Massachusetts in the U.S. Congress. Now, I don't normally get all misty-eyed at the passing of a politician, but I'll make an exception here. Well, OK, maybe I'm not actually misty-eyed. I will admit that Ted was one of my all-time favorite politicians, though.

First of all, you've got to admire somebody with that kind of staying power. Through rumors of alcoholism and carousing, a public and messy divorce and, of course the mother of all scandals, Chappaquiddick--nothing could keep this guy out of politics. Any one of the aforementioned issues would have ruined the career of a lesser man. But not Ted. Why not? I believe that he really loved working for the people, pure and simple. I also believe voters could recognize that about him.

I always voted for Ted. He very seldom (if ever) voted in a manner that I disagreed with. His family pushed his siblings and himself out into the public eye encouraging them to "give something back" and they have. Ted, luckily for him, was able to do it a lot longer than his brothers, and he became a dedicated spokesman for issues that affect working people, most pointedly, universal health care. Sick with cancer, he showed up in D.C. for a vote on Medicare; he stumped for Obama at the Dems' convention, specifically speaking to the candidate's health care reform plans. On his deathbed (as it turns out), he pleaded with the Massachusetts legislature to allow Gov. Deval Patrick the ability to fill his seat with an interim appointee so that our state will not be at a disadvantage in Washington.

Sure, the guy had faults, some pretty serious. But he didn't let his own failings keep him from what he believed his mission was: to serve the people. He really cared, something I feel is missing from most politicians' agendas. His successor will have big shoes to fill, and he'll be missed. Uh-oh, I'm getting misty-eyed.

No comments:

Post a Comment